Wednesday 21 October 2015

Artist Copy - E.H. Shepard

For my artist copy, I chose to draw and paint E.H. Shepard's iconic illustration of Pooh climbing a tree from A.A. Milne's book Winnie The Pooh. I chose this image as it's a simplistic yet elegant illustration with delicate colours which is a style that I find very aesthetically pleasing. 
Original illustration by E.H. Shepard


When creating the artist copy, I chose to use fine liner and watercolour. I used this medium as the original image has an elegant quality that watercolour creates successfully. It is a medium that I want to experiment with for my own illustrations and so I felt that this would be the perfect opportunity to try out the technique. 

I chose to outline and draw in the details with fine liner as the lines in the original illustration are defined and contrast nicely against the delicate watercolour within the image. I wanted to recreate this effect and look which is why I chose fine liner and not brushing in the details with ink or black watercolour paint. Not only this, but the fine liner works very well when drawing smaller details such as the tonal lines on the tree and on Pooh himself. 
My watercolour and fine liner copy of E.H. Shepard's illustration



No comments:

Post a Comment