Monday 2 November 2015

Subject Matter - Simplified Drawings

For my simplified drawings of my subject matter, I decided to draw basic outlines and then develop the images as I went along. I made annotations beside some drawings so that I had some sort of documentation of where I needed to improve certain aspects of the illustrations. Elements such as proportion and facial expression for the human character were important to me as I wanted my character to have a physical personality that the reader can clearly see. To create the look of childlike innocence that the character Jojo has, I drew the eyes bigger with larger pupils then the nose and mouth smaller. Not only this, but I also tilted the eyebrows to add more innocence and childlike quality. I gave the character blond hair as many associate the hair colour blond with innocence, purity, and younger children. 




For the character of Whiskers, I chose darker colours. I picked the colour black as black cats hold the connotations of misfortune and bad luck which is what Jojo experiences consistently throughout the book. To contrast with the black, I gave the cat bright green eyes. This adds a more aesthetic value to the illustration and also doesn't stray too far from the colour of cats eyes seeing as a lot have green eyes. I chose to make the eyes brighter as opposed to realistic cats eyes which would be more of a muted green because I wanted the eyes to be what stands out the most about the character.



No comments:

Post a Comment