Tuesday 24 November 2015

Typography - Digital Fonts

Fonts I Chose From dafont.com

When considering fonts to use both on the cover and the inside of the book, I immediately decided that I wanted something that all ages would have no trouble reading. This is because the primary target audience for my product is younger children and so they need a typeface that is legible and clear. With this in mind, I started looking through different fonts on dafont.com to get an idea of the sort of fonts that would be close to what I was looking for. 















The next step I took was to write the most recurring line from the book in the fonts that I had chosen. This was to compare how each font looked and which one looked the best. I chose these fonts in particular as they are all easy to read. I selected a mixture of old-style, modern, script and display fonts so that I could determine which typeface was the most effective and the best suited to the purpose I wanted the font to have. 



Comparing Typefaces

When comparing typefaces, I felt that the font Easy Open Face (the second typeface on the list at the top) would be one of the least effective in regards to what the main body of text could be written in. Whilst it may be eye catching and easy to read, I felt that the font wasn't suitable for the main body of text as it would be too distracting and not as easy to read. After carefully looking at each font, I have decided that the two fonts that I would consider the best to use for my book are OldStyle and Lemon Yellow Sun. 

I find OldStyle to be one of the easiest to read and, for me, it looks more traditional. It reminds me of Times New Roman as it has similar transitions in weight which gives it more aesthetic but not so much that it would distract the reader of the book. The weight of certain elements of the letters make it stand out which is what I'm looking for with the typeface for the main body of text. There is not so much contrast from thick to thin weights so it doesn't distract the eye or take away any legibility. 

I also chose Lemon Yellow Sun as its qualities as a handcrafted script font contrast with the traditional qualities of OldStyle. There is no transition in weight and the messy quality is reminiscent of simplistic handwriting which makes it easy to read. The font has a medium weight so it stands out on the page but still has legibility and the way the letters are all capitalised means that you can read it effortlessly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment