Friday 11 December 2015

Adding Tone - My Process


First, I started off by drawing out the basic outlines of the illustrations I wanted to add tone to and I went over the pencil in black fine liner. I made these illustrations simplistic and avoided using great amounts of tone as I wanted to experiment with this in photoshop. 





My next step was to import both pages into photoshop and then use the threshold tool to make the lines crisper as well as making the grey of the paper more white. After doing this, I used the magic wand tool to select the white background and delete it so that I could insert a white background on a different layer. 



To make the bush look messier and give it a rougher quality, I changed the qualities of the paintbrush so that it had more of a texture rather than being smooth. I also added a wet edge effect to the brush so that it would be easier to add tone by using the brush on the same areas of the layer over and over. This enabled me to add darker tones easier whilst keeping the quality of the brush.





I then proceeded to apply the brush to the whole illustration so that I could experiment with making different elements of the images darker whilst keeping some lighter. However, I felt that the layer I worked on was too dark so I changed the opacity of it and make the outlines more visible. I also feel that this made the image less overwhelming and more aesthetically pleasing. I also used a reference for the shading and made sure I had different references of different angles that the light source was coming from so that I could experiment with different places for shade.



I repeated the process on each illustration until I was satisfied with the results that I got. I feel that these illustrations have allowed me to decide on where I want the shading and tone to be on my images when I draw them for my book as well as giving me the chance to experiment more with the different types of brushes on photoshop in order to create different effects.




No comments:

Post a Comment