Tuesday 1 December 2015

Typography - Creating My Own Fonts 1


 

To create contrast within the book and make the recurring line 'kick him in the eyes' stand out, I decided that I wanted a messier font. This was when I chose to experiment with using different mediums to create different handmade typefaces. 

First, I chose that I wanted to experiment with wax resist to get a scruffy, more childlike look. I used white wax crayon and then used a dark brown watercolour to wash over the wax letters. I washed over the letters a couple of times so that the white would stand out against the brown. 

Next, I imported the two scans of the alphabet I'd written out in wax resist into photoshop and added each letter onto a template for myscriptfont.com and made sure each letter didn't venture too far out of the boxes. I also erased parts of the letters so that the white parts would be the main focus rather than the darker elements. I edited size so that each letter would fit and edited parts where the black wasn't supposed to be so that it would be white instead.



When editing the letters so that the white stood out, I used the threshold tool. This was so that the brown was black and created more contrast within the lettering as well as to try and bring out the rough quality that the wax had created. I also used a textured eraser tool so that there would be more interest and make the typeface look messier and more childlike. 


Once I had finished each letter and all the punctuation, I saved the file as a jpeg and imported it onto myscriptfont.com so that it could be turned into a typeface. I feel that this typeface I made wasn't as successful as I hoped it would be as it may not be legible for younger children. I could have made it more legible by making it look tidier so that children won't find it as difficult to read it. 





No comments:

Post a Comment