Thursday 3 December 2015

Typography - Creating My Own Fonts 2


For my second experiment with handmade typefaces I could use for my book, I took inspiration from the font Lemon Yellow Sun. It is a legible script font with an informal feel and appeals to younger audiences. 

To create a font similar to Lemon Yellow Sun, I used a fine liner to draw out each letter and made the capital letters tall and thin. However, unlike Lemon Yellow Sun, I also used lower case letters so that there was more variety within my font. I also made sure there was no transition of weight as the typeface I took inspiration from is all just one weight.

After drawing out my font, I scanned it into the computer and used the threshold tool in photoshop to make it black and white before removing all the white from the image. This left behind the black letters, numbers and punctuation.

The next step I took was to place each letter onto the template file for myscriptfont.com ready to be imported onto the website and turned into a typeface. 



To make sure the letters would be visible and easier to turn into a typeface, I thickened each letter with the brush tool. The letters need to be thick as thin lines do not scan into the website very well so they aren't detected and parts of the letters will go missing.



No comments:

Post a Comment